Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Unit - 1: Cement
1. List out the chemical composition of cement with respective limits? Also explain
the role of each element on the properties of concrete?
(b) Explain procedure of determinig normal consistency in laboratory with details of the equipment.
3. (a) Describe the significance of Initial setting time and final setting time of cement.
(b) Explain procedure to assesses in laboratory with details of the equipment.
4. (a) Define admixture.
(b) Explain various purposes for which the admixtures are used in modifying the properties of concrete to suit specific need.
5. (a) Describe the significance of fineness of cement.
(b) Explain procedure to determine the fineness in laboratory with air permeability apparatus.
6. Explain advantages and disadvantages of concrete as a building material.
7. (a) Explain structure of a hydrated cement in different stages of hydration.
(b) Explain the process of gel formation and capillarity action during hydration.
8. Write short notes on the following:
(a) High Alumina cement
(b) Refractory cement
(c) Standard consistency of cement
(d) Coloured cement.
9. What are Bouges compounds? Explain in detail how each one of these compounds influence the strength & setting properties of cement.
10. Explain with details, in which situations each of the following cements are used
(a) Air Entraining cement
(b) Sulphate resisting cement
(c) Low heat cement
(d) Oil well cement.
11. (a) With the help of neat sketches explain how the initial and final setting time test are conducted in the laboratory using Vicot apparatus.
(b) What are I.S.codal specifications on setting times of ordinary Portland cement.
12. (a) Explain in detail the formation of Bouge’s compounds.
(b) Discuss the effect of Tricalcium Silicate on the setting properties of cement.
13. What is grade of cement? What are the different grades of cements available in the market? Does the grade of cement influences the end properties of concrete? Explain in detail?
14. (a) Explain different field tests to be conducted on cement while deciding its quality.
(b) Enumerate the different laboratory tests to be conducted on cement to decide its quality. Explain any two tests of your choice.
15. (a) Discuss the difference between the wet and dry process of manufacturing of Portland cement.
(b) Draw the flow diagrams for wet & dry process of manufacture of cement and explain the same.
16. (a) Discuss the chemical composition of ordinary Portland cement.
(b) What are the Indian Standard specifications as per I.S. 269-1989 for 33 grade ordinary Portland cement with respect to chemical requirements.
17. (a) Discuss in detail how the chemical composition of cement affects its strength and setting properties.
(b) Explain the difference between Natural and Artificial cement.
18. (a) ”The hydration of cement is an exothermic reaction”. Discuss the above statement with valid facts in connection with hydration process of cement
(b) Explain the structure of hydrated cement.